1) Where can I find data on this hospital's patient safety performance, such as infection rates, patient falls and pressure ulcers, mortality, readmissions, patient satisfaction and surgical performance?
2) How is this hospital working to prevent the most common types of patient safety events and harm? Here are some specific patient safety events to inquire about and discuss.
- Medication errors
- Errors in surgery
- Patient falls
- Pressure ulcers (bedsores)
- Errors in blood administration
- Blood clots after surgery
- Unnecessary readmissions
4) Does this hospital welcome family and important visitors and have open visiting hours?
5) What is the policy of this hospital regarding disclosure and partnering with patients and families when a medical error or adverse event occurs?
To view Northwestern Memorial’s quality ratings, visit this page. The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) is an excellent consumer resource for these topics as well.