While the Women’s Neurology Center is one of only a small number of women-focused neurology programs in the country, recent research indicates that gender plays a significant role in neurological conditions:
- Twenty percent of women suffer from migraines
- Sleep disorders in women are often overlooked by primary care physicians
- Hormones affect seizure frequency in 30 percent of women with epilepsy
- Women are three times more likely than men to be diagnosed with multiple sclerosis
- Medications used to treat neurological disorders may have significant impact on pregnancy and contraception effectiveness
- Stroke mortality is higher in women, although 30 percent of women are unaware of their stroke risk factors
To learn more about the Women's Neurology Center and Ann's story, read the full press release.